At Totally Smiles, we know every parent wants their children with a happy, healthy smile, which will last a lifetime. Totally Smiles have several Paediatric Dentists who are specially trained in providing dental care for your child – starting from their very first tooth right through to 18 years of age.
What is a Paediatric Dentist?
Paediatric dentists are dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through the teen years. They have the experience and qualifications to care for a child’s teeth, gums, and mouth throughout the various stages of childhood.
Children begin to get their baby teeth during the first 6 months of life. By age 6 or 7 years, they start to lose their first set of teeth, which eventually are replaced by secondary, permanent teeth. Without proper dental care, children face possible oral decay and disease that can cause a lifetime of pain and complications.
What kind of training do Paediatric Dentists have?
Paediatric dentists have completed at least:
- Four years of dental school
- Two additional years of residency training in dentistry for infants, children, teens, and children with special needs
What types of treatments Do Paediatric Dentists provide?
Paediatric dentists provide comprehensive oral health care that includes the following:
- Infant oral health exams, which include risk assessment for caries in mother and child
- Preventive dental care including cleaning and fluoride treatments, as well as nutrition and diet recommendations
- Habit counselling (for example, pacifier use and thumb sucking)
- Early assessment and treatment for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite (orthodontics)
- Repair of tooth cavities or defects
- Care for dental injuries (for example, fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth)
Paediatric Dentists — The Best Care For Children
Children are not just small adults. They are not always able to be patient and cooperative during a dental exam. Paediatric dentists know how to examine and treat children in ways that make them comfortable. In addition, paediatric dentists use specially designed equipment in offices that are arranged and decorated with children in mind.
For more information on Totally Smiles paediatric services, please contact the team at Totally Smiles, or book an appointment online now.