At Totally Smiles, we believe that every smile makes a statement. You can be confident yours will say exactly what you want with straight even teeth, thanks to orthodontics.
What are orthodontic retainers?
Orthodontic or dental retainers are designed to keep your teeth where your previous braces or aligners moved them. This stage of the orthodontic treatment is equally important as teeth need time to settle into their new position, and retainers prevent them from moving back into the old position. Thus, wearing a retainer as your orthodontist recommends gives you the best chance at ensuring your teeth stay straight and healthy.
Types of retainers
As with teeth realignment, there are also fixed and removable retainers available. Our experienced team will recommend the most suitable one according to your unique needs, together with how long and how often you should be wearing it.
Retainer Care Tips
Retainers are subject to wear and tear and proper care should be exercised to prolong their life. Here are some tips to care for a removable retainer:
- Always keep your retainer in its container or soak it in water/a cleanser tablet when you are not using it.
- Clean it after every meal.
- Don’t place your retainer in hot water, in direct sunlight, or near a heat source.
- Remove it before playing sports.
- Contact your orthodontist immediately if you notice the retainer losing its shape or isn’t fitting correctly.
For a fixed retainer:
- Pay extra attention to oral hygiene as a fixed retainer can be a food/plaque trap. Your orthodontist will demonstrate how to brush your teeth and floss properly.
- Protect it from damage by avoiding hard or sticky foods as these can potentially break or damage the wires.
- Contact your orthodontist immediately if you notice something amiss, such as the retainer feeling loose.
- Be conscientious about your dental appointments, whether with the orthodontist or the twice-a-year regular check-ups.
For more information on orthodontic or dental retainers, contact your local Totally Smiles practice, or book an appointment online now.